The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) regulates the holding and processing of personal data, that is information relating to living individuals, which is held either on computer or in manual form. Personal data can consist of paper files, CCTV images and photographs. Compton and Up Marden School is a Data controller and must:
(a) Notify/Register with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) (www.ico.org.uk)
(b) Comply with the eight data protection principles which together form a framework for the proper handling of personal data.
1. Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully.
2. Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or purposes.
3. Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
4. Personal data shall be accurate and where necessary, kept up to date.
5. Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary.
6. Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under this Act.
7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction or damage to personal data.
8. Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.